The cost of a DUI is rising. The Colorado State Patrol recently released a chart explaining why the cost of a DUI is getting more expensive. The cost of a DUI has grown by 32%. The Colorado State Patrol states the reason the cost is going up is due to the fact that more and more people are being considered persistent drunk drivers.
People who are considered persistent drunk drivers are people who refuse chemical testing at the time of the stop, people who have two or more impaired driving offenses, and people with a BAC of 0.15 or more (even on a first offense), according to the Colorado State Patrol. The statewide average BAC in DUI cases in Colorado is now a 0.164. This is higher than the 0.15 threshold of being a persistent drunk driver. The cost increase of a DUI is due to the average DUI now being classified as a persistent drunk driver. The amount of cost increase due to this change is about 55%.
Associated Costs of a DUI
Every person’s DUI is different. There are a number of factors that go into calculating the cost of a DUI. This is an average of the general costs of a first offense DUI. Some of these costs include:
- Detox/Jail – $303
- Towing Fees – $175
- Court Costs – $26
- Car Storage fee (per day) – $49.20
- DUI Defense Attorney (average) – $4,000
- Probation Alcohol/ Drug Evaluation – $200
- Rural Alcohol & Substance Abuse Fund – $5
- Alcohol/Drug Education/Treatment – $1,000
- Victim Impact Panel Program – $50
- Frist Conviction Fine – $600
- Probation Supervision Fee – $900
- Victims Assistance Fund – $163
- Victims Compensation Fund – $29
- Ignition Interlock Rental Service – $2,172
- Law Enforcement Assistance Fun – $90
- License Reinstatement – 95
- Community Service Supervision Fee – $60
- Instruction Permit – $16.80
- Restricted License – $26
- PDD Surcharge Fee – $300
- Brain Injury Fund Fee – $20
- Auto Insurance Increase – $3,600 (estimate)
If the cost of a DUI continues to increase, it could have a crippling impact on your life. As the DUI cost stands now, it is very difficult for people to comply with payment let alone all the hoops that you have to jump through to successfully complete your DUI sanctions. The cost alone can change your life forever. If you do find yourself with a DUI, an experienced attorney can make all the difference. M. Colin Bresee is an experienced DUI attorney in Denver, Colorado and can assist you with any kind of DUI. Give him a call today.
Read some of our other related articles for more information.